Walgreens Prompts Cough-and-Cold Sufferers to 'Buy 2'
Walgreens loosely defined the cough-and-cold category for a four-week promotion that promises 3,000 Balance Rewards points with purchase of two eligible products.
The retailer’s website indicates that 633 items are eligible for the promotion, which runs Dec. 30, 2018, through Jan. 26. Among the eligible items are Pfizer's ChapStick lip balm and Procter & Gamble's Vicks steam inhalers.
Walgreens’ tactics include:
- “buy 2, get 3,000 points” messaging that accompanies product listings in the e-commerce section of walgreens.com.
- an endcap with “Buy 2 and Save” messaging that stocks products from, among others, Johnson & Johnson’s Tylenol and Sudafed, Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil, RB’s Mucinex and Delsym, Bayer’s Afrin and Alka-Seltzer, GlaxoSmithKline’s Theraflu, and Ricola.
- a dedicated full-page feature in the retailer’s Jan. 6 circular that touts “$3 reward = 3000 bonus points” while showcasing a variety of national brand and private label items.
- a feature in the retailer’s January coupon book that depicts products from Mucinex, Alka-Seltzer and PharmaCare U.S.’s Sambucol and promotes the available $3 reward.
- a tab on Walgreens' mobile application showcasing Mucinex, Tylenol and private label Well at Walgreens items and also spotlighting the $3 reward.
NOTE: Path to Purchase Institute members can learn more about Walgreens' promotional activity by category at p2pi.org. Members also have access to more than 8,000 images and 800 articles of marketing and merchandising activity at Walgreens, along with a full Retailer Profile outlining the chain’s operations and strategies.