Effie Award Winner: Oreo Mint Hot Chocolate at 7-Eleven
Manufacturer: Mondelez International
Lead Agency: Phoenix Creative Co.
2019 Shopper Marketing Effie Award: New Product/Service Introduction (Bronze)
Looking to bring excitement back to the Oreo cookie brand, particularly among Millennial shoppers, Mondelez International went all in at 7-Eleven, the home store of those aged 18 to 34. The in-depth program spread Oreo’s new mint flavor across several categories in the store. The brand brought 7-Eleven an exclusive drink, the Oreo Mint Hot Chocolate, and doubled down with Oreo Mint king-size Oreo cookies, Oreo Mint donuts and Oreo Mint chocolate candy.
A wide-ranging, integrated effort supported the new flavor and multiple product launches at 7-Eleven, a location that Oreo had recently seen an 11% dip in consumption, while 7-Eleven overall had been seeing a near 3% rise in sales in the cookie category as a whole. The idea for the hot chocolate flavor stemmed from insights that 7-Eleven is the second largest retailer of hot chocolate in the U.S., and 7-Eleven scores hot beverages as 14% of its sales.
The mega effort at 7-Eleven began with PR and media outreach around the new hot chocolate and product items. Large window banners called out to passersby, showing the iconic cookie paired with the hot chocolate. Inside stores, floorstands (6,100 in all) carrying cookies and candy, and calling out the hot chocolate flavor, garnered floor space. Shelf talkers and wobblers called out the hot chocolate down the aisles, a cling pairing the Oreo Mint Donut with the hot chocolate was in the bakery, and a large translite was featured on the 7-Eleven hot chocolate machine.
In addition, social influencers generated social chatter and drove foot traffic, and an exclusive Oreo Mint Dunk-O digital game engaged shoppers in a fun way, awarding daily prizes. Wobblers in-aisle drove shoppers to the game. The campaign leveraged promoted posts on Facebook and ran a geo-targeted campaign through the Waze app to drive shoppers to the store.
In all, the campaign helped drive a nearly 30% bump in sales for the Oreo cookie brand versus a year ago, and specifically saw an increase in sales at 7-Eleven short of a full percent (but a massive jump from a minus 11% deficit the year before).
Members of the Path to Purchase Institute have access to a library of more than 100 case studies of Shopper Marketing Effie award-winning campaigns dating back to 2011.